Legal Question in Family Law in India

Dear sir,

We have issues with regard to property settlement.Pls note my husband has 3 elder sisters.

1st sister got married before 1976

2 nd sister got married before 1980 &

3rd sister got married before 1994.

Request you to pls advice if we need to give share to them as one of my friend has advised me that females who has married before 1995 do not hold legal right on the property & no share to be given to them.

Pls note my husband elder brother has already cheated us & has already sold 85% of the prosperity & we have a small piece of land left behind for us as ancestral property & sister-in-law claims that they need equal share in the property or given them money for the same.

Need your assist here pls,

Thanks & Regards


Asked on 5/15/13, 2:24 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Sudershan Goel India Law Offices of Sudershan Goel - Advocate

they may be entitled to a share in the property. you may wait for their action and then plan your defence based on totality of facts and circumstances obtaining at the relevant time.

Read more
Answered on 5/15/13, 11:02 am
Jayesh Desai Jayesh Desai

It depends, whether the ancestral property was divided or not between the family members before 1995 or not.

If it was not divided, they will have share, if divided earlier they will not have a share.

Read more
Answered on 5/22/13, 6:59 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in India