Legal Question in Family Law in Greece

I was married in greece and lived there for 10 years as husband and wife. More than 2 years ago we moved back to philippines, where i live now. My husband at the time, told me once we got to philippines that he intended to return to greece and was wanting a divorce. This was more than 2 years ago and i still have heard nothing of a divorce? Can i initiate divorce proceedings myself, in Grèce? My husband still resides in greece and i just want to be divirced from him. I have been abandoned in my own country for more than 2 years and want this divorce to happen instead of waiting for him to decide when hes going to botter.

Asked on 5/29/16, 11:27 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Yes, article 1439 of the Greek Civil Code provides that the abandonment of the spouse for at least 2 years constitutes a legal ground for divorce. An application based on the relevant legal argument ("strong breakdown to the wedding") must be submitted in the court located in the region of your last common habitual residence in Greece. For the divorce application you must be represented by a lawyer. I remain at your disposal for anything else ( Best regards.

Read more
Answered on 5/29/16, 12:13 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Greece