Legal Question in Family Law in India

I came to USA last year trusting my husband. My in-laws also came to USA in May this year. I have been harassed badly by my husband and his family here and they have filed for divorce here last months. As I do not have any support here and all my gold is taken out by my husband and his family. Some gold is kept in India. It is very difficult to prove that the gold and other expensive things belong to me.

Can I come to India and file a case against my husband and his family?

Asked on 9/28/22, 10:17 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Rajiv Chandhok Ph: +919810050896

Yes. you can file cases immediately once you are back. You can file a complaint in the CAW cell u/s 498/A IPC if you have been harassed for dowry. The jewelry given to you from your parental side could be proved through photographs of your functions and your jeweler's statement (both old and new jewelry). If the jewelry is in their possession, then it could be proved from their locker details. You can ALSO complaint to the court over there in USA that you have been harassed and inform them of all the mishaps happened with you (or in your reply). You have the right to take compensation and divorce depending upon the state there.

Read more
Answered on 9/30/22, 12:59 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in India