Legal Question in Intellectual Property in India

Respected Sir

we are a team of Assistant professors and UGC NET/JRF Qualified research scholars from India. Our team is voluntary (Friends group - Non legal)

I am one of the member of the team . I have some queries and need your suggestions . I am sorry that I am approaching you directly , But I am not getting help from anyone and I do not any lawyers background.

1.I as a member of the team, decided to start a print journal *(Biannual and special editions at regular interval)

2.I have obtained a ISSN for the Print journal title from National science center Delhi and in the name of the publisher my name has been mentioned .

3.I have decided to get the journal printed from print on demand ( will make it available for sale at his online store .

4.It would be a printed journal(NOT ONLINE) - printed by an online print on demand service known as

5. There would be No subscription facility available for the journal . Interested persons would be instructed to buy the copy of the journal online from the print on demand website ( The online store is registered and has a TIN.

6. we are not charging the authors for publication and we will not sell or distribute the journal .

I wish to know

1.what more we need to do to get our print journal published ?

2. Is it mandatory for us to get an R.I.N as the journal would be printed ?

3.Is it mandatory for me to get registered to be a publisher of the aforesaid journal ?

I am in great need of help and I request you to kindly help me with your suggestions.

If it is possible kindly send me a copy of the Act associated with my queries .

waiting to hear from you.

Thanking you.

Yours sincerely

Saurabh Chandra

Asked on 10/02/13, 10:25 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fca Prashant Chavan Expert Edge LLP


Dear Saurabh,

1. You will need to get your Journal registered with the Indian Institute of Copyrights (IIC) and you should have a royalty agreement with the author(s) who regularly submit articles for publication.

2. YES, you will need to obtain a Registered Licence for printing the Journal.

3. YES, registration as a publisher is advisable and recommended.


Read more
Answered on 10/07/13, 11:07 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Intellectual Property questions and answers in India