Legal Question in Employment Law in India

i am newly hired professor (fresher) in one of colleges in chandigarh , on hiring they took cheque of 20000 , they said they will give it back if i serve them notice period of 2 months , i was hired on 1 september 2013 and few days back my father turned severely ill following which i cant continue my job i told them i can join from next semester they said they will tell me about their decision after 10 days , now after 10 days date becomes 29 september , would they encash that checque because they didnt asked me to serve notice period of 2 months or i shud cancel payment of that checque? why are they not asking me to serve notice period of 2 months?

they made me sign an affidavit on stamp paper where i agree to pay them amount of 20000 if i dont serve my notice period

but if i dont serve notice period ( due to fathers ilness ) am i still bound to pay 20000? and if i cant pay so is it necessary to serve notice period , i am ready for it

Asked on 9/19/13, 4:53 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fca Prashant Chavan Expert Edge LLP


If your father is very old and ailing, just keep a ward boy to take care of him at home ... and you go and serve the notice period of two months in the College ... without wasting a single day ... starting from tomorrow itself. Ensure that you get paid for it too and take back your cheque from the College on the last day.


Read more
Answered on 9/19/13, 5:44 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in India