Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in India


the electric meter is my name since 19 years as we are leaving in rent and now suddenly if they say after 23 years to increase the rent from 3500 to 5000 cant we take any legal action against this and the new landlord is telling if we cant agree to pay we should leave the flat .... how can we leave a flat where we are living since 23 years n from 19 years electric meter is in our name as a proof that we are from long years .... is there no law to help us in this case

Asked on 6/13/13, 1:25 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

For having a meter in your name does not grant you right to ownership or something of that sort, but you can go for settling of rent as per market cost prevailing there. From your question its not clear under what circumstances landlord is asking for more rent so kindly go for settling of rent and there should not be any default in payment

Read more
Answered on 7/13/13, 12:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in India