Legal Question in Personal Injury in United States

My boyfriends mother was in a car accident and he brought her to my house to recover against my wishes. He has lived with me in my house (his name is not on title) for 11 years and has been looking for a way to move himself and more recently, her, in permanently. She has a personal injury attorney. For as bad as the accident was, she is able to move around and function fairly normally, is not bed ridden, just need rest and low activity and has a walker but often times does not use it. Can her attorney make it so she cannot be moved, I,e. Instruct that she needs to stay in my house until her Recovery is complete? I loosely agreed that she could stay until the end of this month, she has been here since March 6. My boyfriend just ignores anything I say and has the idea that she will stay as long as HE wants and I am not consulted about anything regarding her situation. I know the eviction process in California and need to get it going soon. I just don't want to be blindsided by any situation where I am forced to let her stay in my house due to her accident.

Asked on 3/19/16, 11:30 pm

5 Answers from Attorneys

Stephen Lombardi Lombardi Law Firm

If you own the home, then you get to say who stays there. If they won't leave you can call the police and have them removed.

Read more
Answered on 3/20/16, 1:46 am
David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

Since you let them in , I doubt police will do anything. Start your legal proceeding now.

Read more
Answered on 3/20/16, 8:15 am
Alan Wagner Wagner McLaughlin, P.A.

Sounds like it is time to break up with the boyfriend.

Read more
Answered on 3/20/16, 8:41 am
John Kelly Kelly Law Team

You will want to reach out to an attorney in California that practices landlord tenant law. There should be no laws that require your boy friend's mother to live in your home. You will have the right to evict them if you want to do so. It is best to at least consult with an attorney who may be able to give you some tips to resolve it short of litigating.

Read more
Answered on 3/21/16, 10:01 am
Robert Stephens Stephens & Stephens

You need a California lawyer. IF in Texas, I would sugge a t you write a letter to both boy friend and his Mother telling them to vacate within the period set forth in the Texas statute. You again need a California Lawyer dealing with California real property law. I do not handle anything but personal injury law.

Read more
Answered on 3/27/16, 6:54 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in United States