Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Philippines

I live in the United States and am a citizen.My brother(U.S.citzen) died as a resident in the Philippines.He left a will that was written in the Philippines. I am named as executor and am also a beneficiary. Must I file for Probate there or here in order to sell his condo and settle his estate in the Philippines? If it must be filed in the Philippines can I do it from here in the U.S.A.? I don't think I can be the executor in the Philippines, so what should I do to get going on settling his estate?

Asked on 5/04/13, 11:45 am

1 Answer from Attorneys


Since your brother died here in the Philippines the probate can be file at place of his residence. Yes, you cannot act as executor since you are a non-resident. But as a party having an interest in the estate you can initiate the probate of the will as petitioner.

Read more
Answered on 5/08/13, 8:12 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Philippines