Legal Question in Business Law in Alabama

My husband's company asked him to go out of town to train a group in another state. They made it seem as if they were giving him $500 as a bonus to do the job. When he returned, they demanded the remainder of the money not used and told him they would take it from his bank account. At no time did they tell him that the money would have to be returned. Is this legal? Can they take the money from his account without his permission? Or can they take money from his check to repay the amount they placed into his account?

Asked on 4/05/10, 10:39 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

James Coleman Murchison & Howard, LLC

This depends, of course, on the agreement between the employer and your husband on what the $500 was. I expect that the employer fronted his expenses with a $500 advance. I know that is something your husband would dispute. That is the first question to be answered. As for taking money from his bank account, they would be in real trouble if they did so without a garnishment. They may well attempt to take money from his check to repay the remainder of the $500. The key question is, what was the $500? A bonus or a travel advance?

Read more
Answered on 4/16/10, 4:24 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Alabama