Legal Question in Criminal Law in Alabama

My boyfriend's dad is a drug addict. He lives with his parents and is on disability and receives about $900 a month which he spends all of it on drugs and materials to make drugs. He does not pay my boyfriend's mom child support and she does not take him to court because we all know he will continue to spend his money on drugs and his parents will be paying my boyfriend's mother the child support. My boyfriend is completely fed up with his dad and wants him to go to jail, with good reason. My boyfriend explains to me that his dad has about 19 charges against him and 17 of them got randomly drop. He gets assigned court dates and they always get pushed back or moved to a different court. His dad is also buddy-buddy with policemen and jailers in the area and he 'rats' other drug dealers out to those policemen, which was explained to me that is what saves him from being put in jail. He will go to jail for fights or other things and my boyfriend's grandparents always bail him out within a day. My boyfriend's dad also harasses him for money to pay drug dealers and he breaks into his room to take his cell phone to make drug calls. This causes my boyfriend to not get much sleep at night which interferes with his schooling. This has been going on for years now, and it not fair for my boyfriend or his grandparents to deal with this because of his dad. Why is he not in jail? And why is his court dates being dropped or moved to a different date constantly? What can we do to get him jail like he deserves?

Thank you for the help I really, really appreciate it.

Asked on 3/28/10, 4:52 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Judson Crump Judson E. Crump, Attorney at Law

You cannot force the state to prosecute anyone. If he has a deal worked out with local police, then you can try to get the DEA involved. If they prosecute him in federal court, then his deal with the local police won't help him much. You can submit a tip on their website here:

Or, you can contact their office in New Orleans. They have offices across the country, but Alabama is in the New Orleans division.

Read more
Answered on 4/05/10, 6:51 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Alabama