Legal Question in Environmental Law in Alabama

My family, 2 children and 2 adults, live on waterfront property right where the marsh turns to dry land. We have been affected by the oil fumes from the BP disaster off and on the last 2 months, and now have a canal full of dead little fish that smell very bad. All members of my family have had one or more symptoms this past month that could be related to the fumes, but of course may not be: headaches, nose bleeds, bronchitis, nausea. The reason we live here is the water access. And my partner was starting a small boat building and rental shop. It seems inevitable that our property will get further damage from the oil. But our biggest concern is the potential long-term health effects from the oil and dispersant fumes on our children. At this point, the uncertainty is taking a huge mental toll on us, 2 of the family have been having nightmares . We'd like to just bail out and move away from the area even though I would have to quit my job and find work elsewhere. I feel BP should have to pay off my mortgage, give me resettlement money, and money for bodily harm and pain and suffering. But I fully recognize what I feel would be appropriate compensation is not necessarily what others feel would be appropriate. Would it be best to file claims now given it'll take some time to process and the damage would likely be more evident by that point; or should I wait until I have goo on my property to file? What sort of dollar amounts should I file for in any of those categories? Are there categories I'm missing? Should I submit them at once, or one at a time? Or are my prospects so bleak for recompense I should just bail out on my mortgage? Any advice would really be appreciated.

Asked on 6/23/10, 5:18 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Daniel Bakondi The Law Office of Daniel Bakondi

At this point, you should contact an attorney to assess your damages, and your evidence. An attorney can help you get the most compensation for your claim, and possibly bring legal action if BP does not feel your claim is worth what the law says. I am looking to help people with BP claims, and might be able to find a way to help you, associated with local counsel. Please send me an email if I may help you.


Attorney Daniel Bakondi

Daniel Bakondi, Esq. [email protected] 415-450-0424

The Law office of Daniel Bakondi, APLC

870 Market Street, Suite 1161

San Francisco CA 94102

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No attorney-client nor confidential relationship is created through this communication. Nothing communicated or provided constitutes legal advice nor a legal opinion unless it so specifies and written agreement for attorney services has been entered into. Thank you.

Read more
Answered on 6/24/10, 12:03 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Environmental Law questions and answers in Alabama