Legal Question in Family Law in Alabama

Car Title and Registration

My divorce settlement states that my personal vehicle now belongs to me alone. The car title is made out to my husband OR me. Do I need to have the title formally changed now, or will the combination of the word "Or" in the title plus a copy of the final divorce decree suffice to establish this vehicle as belonging to me alone? If I try to sell or trade in this vehicle at a later date, I don't want to have to ask my ex-husband to sign off on any of the related paperwork.

Asked on 8/01/00, 11:27 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Forrester Forrester & Associates

Re: Car Title and Registration

The word "OR" should permit either one of you to change the title. Please do not wait to do this, as reading between the lines of your question, your ex might be the type to get a duplicate title and either encumber your car by borrowing on it or selling it. Use your best judgment.

If we can be of assistance, please feel free to contact us at Forrester & Associates, 256-435-1007.

Read more
Answered on 9/23/00, 9:06 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Alabama