Legal Question in Family Law in Alabama

I live in Fl. i have four daughters who live in Al. with their mother and step father. I have never paid child support and except for a support order that was part of a protection order/restraining order granted to her in Fl. 10yrs ago, she has been unsuccessful in obtaining a court order against me. The mother has never refused contact and i want my 16 yr old to come visit me in Fl. the other 3 dont want to come. How do i go about obtaining a court order for visitation?

Asked on 5/16/11, 9:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Edward Tracy Southern Legal Group, P.C.

Generally visitation guidelines are outlined and ordered in the original divorce agreement. If you believe these court ordered guidelines have been violated you can file a contempt of court against your ex wife. Child Support is not money to see your child but money to support him/her. Note your ex wife has every right to counter file a contempt against you for failing to pay child support and since you state you have never paid child support for your four children, the ruling judge may wish to throw you in jail until a set debt is paid, which is a common method used to encourage arrears payments to surface. Many law officials see failing to pay child support as an egregious action against a child.

Read more
Answered on 5/17/11, 4:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Alabama