Legal Question in Family Law in Alabama

Morality Clause

My divorce decree states that I cannot have any overnight visitors of the opp. sex on nights i have my son. I did not agree to this, but was bullied into signing it. I have been in a long term committed relationship for 2 years now, and we would like to move in with each other for a while before we get married.There is no harm done to my son, he is very excited about us moving in together, plus it puts us in a much safer neighborhood. What can I do about this? I feel it is a violation of my rights

Asked on 10/10/11, 5:52 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

James Coleman Murchison & Howard, LLC

Your rights are not being violated by an agreement into which you freely entered. If you we being bullied, you should not have executed the agreement, or should have objected within 30 days of the divorce becoming final. That being said.. You MUST NOT violate the agreement by moving in with your boy or girlfriend. You can get married, or attempt to modify the agreement. If you ignore the court's order, you are placing yourself in a bad position should the other parent take you to court over this. DO NOT IGNORE THE COURT'S ORDER. This is true even if the other parent says it's OK for the two of you to shack up. Don't do it! Get married or Petition the court to amend the order to remove the no-cohabitation clause.

Read more
Answered on 10/10/11, 7:47 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Alabama