Legal Question in Family Law in Alabama

Parental Rights

My son is 23 and has a 2 year old daughter that resides in Alabama with her mother. My son has requested since he found out about her birth to have his name added to her birth certificate but the mother refuses, because she doesn't want him to have any control over the child. My son is in the Air Force stationed in Nebraska. Can he sue her for visitation rights and have his name put on the birth certificate but have all legal fees billed to the mother because she forces him to take the legal route?

Asked on 10/16/00, 5:22 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Leigh Love Leigh Love

Re: Parental Rights

Your son would have to sue in Alabama, in the county in which the mother and child live. A lot would depend on whether the mother and father were married at the time of conception. If they were not the father can still file suit and request a paternity test. He can ask the court for attorney fees. It would be discretionary with the judge as to whether to award them or not

You may call me for more information. there is no charge for consultation.


Email : [email protected]


Read more
Answered on 11/14/00, 9:12 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Alabama