Legal Question in Family Law in Alabama

Seeking a Change of Venue

My divorce was granted in Chilton County AL eight years ago awarding me custody of three minor children. Both my Ex husband and I moved to Jefferson County (not together). My ex-husband then filed for custody, and a Change of Venue from Chilton to Jefferson County. He was granted the Change of Venue to Jefferson County. I moved back to Chilton County, and within 60 miles of the AL Parent-Child Relationship Protection Act. However, my Ex-husband filed an ''Emergency Custody Hearing'' and was awarded temporary custody of the children unless I moved back to the previous school district. I would like to have the Venue returned to the Chilton County, AL where I now reside and where the original Divorce Decree and Custody was awarded.

Asked on 5/07/08, 3:40 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mari Morrison Mari Morrison, P.C.

Re: Seeking a Change of Venue

Your case is complicated and speculate your exhusband has a Birmingham lawyer leading his way. If you do not have an attorney, I would advise you to get one first of all. There are many questions in need of an answer. Such as, did you move to Chilton before venue was changed? When did all of the filings occur? Do you have a legitimate reason for moving? And does your exhusband have clean hands: maintains visitation and contact with children, attends school functions and athletic events in which they participate, is current with child support, etc? I work in both Chilton and Jefferson and if you decide to contact me, I would be happy to give you at least a free consultation.

Read more
Answered on 5/07/08, 4:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Alabama