Legal Question in Immigration Law in Alabama

i am a high school student that plans to go to they navy afterward. my boyfriend is illegal immigrant who has never had any legal papers what so ever. he has been in the u.s for three years and we have been togather for two of those years.for those two years he has lived with me and other family members of mine. we want to get married after i graduate. i hope to get him some kind of visa or green card before i leave for the navy because he wants to be with me every step of the way. does he have to leave the u.s and go back to his country for me to file for him some kind of papers or can he stay here the while we go through the process. and i know that i will need an immigration lawyer sooner or later but we realy need to know all we can before we get started, thanks for all and any help you can give me it is highly appreciated!

Asked on 2/26/11, 11:07 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Attorney Caro Kinsella Law Offices of Caro Kinsella

In order for me to give you the best legal advice, I would need to know how your boyfriend entered the U.S. as he may not need to leave the U.S.

Worst case scenario, as he has remained in the U.S. for over one year unlawfully; Once he departs the U.S. he will trigger a 10 year ban and you will need a waiver (which is discretionary) to get him back in. Leaving the U.S. would be a last resort.

For a free consultation call my office.

Caro Kinsella

Legal Professionals


Read more
Answered on 2/26/11, 11:57 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Alabama