Legal Question in Juvenile Dependency in Alabama

At what age in alabama does a minor child have option to say when they don't want to go to visitation with non custodial parent

Asked on 5/22/13, 7:11 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jennifer Tompkins Stewart Littell Courson and Tompkins LLC

There is NOT an age. People use to think that they could decide at 12. Where that comes from is that children 11 and younger were held by the Court to lack the ability to give reliable testimony and children 12 and older could testify in a manner that the Court could rely on the testimony. However, that did not mean they got to choose. The best advise I could give is that if a child has articulate reasons for requesting the change in custody or visitation and they can relay that to the Courts with prove of the changes of circumstances provided by the party, the Court would consider those factors. You should also consider a Guardian ad Litem for the children.

Read more
Answered on 5/29/13, 9:22 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Juvenile Dependency questions and answers in Alabama