Legal Question in Personal Injury in Alabama

i live in alabama. another car pulled out in front of my daughter and she collided with it. she was alone and there were 2 people in the other car. my daughter was not at fault. the other car has not come forward with any insurance. state farm has paid off my daughter's car and is paying on the medical bills for her. we have uninsured motorist coverage on our policy. what else can i expect to receive? do i need an attorney at all? my daughter's arm was severly broken and required surgery to repair and set it. she is unable to work or drive for about 6 to 8 weeks. will she receive compensation for lost wages, pain and suffering, loss of use of vehicle, our lost wages for having to take off to shuttle her back and forth to college and other inconveniences? thank you.

Asked on 2/04/10, 3:18 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Rodney Edmondson McLaughlin & Edmondson, LLC

From the facts that you have given, it would appear that you and your daughter may very well be entitled to reimbursement of medical costs and compensation for injuries and damage including some if not all of the areas you mention. It is extremely important that you seek the services of an attorney experienced in civil litigation, especially personal injury law. It would be advisable to do so sooner rather than later, as some Uninsured Motorist policies contain language requiring claims to be made before even the general two year Statute of Limitations runs.

Read more
Answered on 2/09/10, 3:35 pm

Melinda Parks The PARKS Law Group

Unfortunately, insurance companies (even your own insurer to which you have paid premiums) are not always willing to pay you what your claim may be worth. This is why it is sometimes necessary to utilize an experienced attorney to assist in negotiating a fair settlement for the claim or to file a lawsuit if necessary. Based on the facts you stated, it sounds like you may have a valid claim for the damages you mentioned. There are several requirements that have to be met in order to make a claim under your uninsured/underinsured policy, with which an experienced attorney will be able to help you. Most attorneys accept these types of cases on a contingency fee basis, which means you usually do not have to pay anything out of pocket for representation unless and until you recover compensation for your injuries. Based on the facts presented, I suggest you contact an attorney. Please feel free to contact me, as I can either help you or refer you to someone who can. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 2/10/10, 5:41 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Alabama