Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Alabama

Death benefits

My sister's exhusband has custody of their three children. He has since remarried but has not paid her her part of the equity on their house, nor has her name been removed from the mortgage. He died last week and we are wondering if his life insurance will be used to pay off the mortgage on the house. Does the house now belong to my sister? Who is responsible for making payments on the house now? Does his wife and her children have to move out? My sister is going to try to get custody of her kids. This is a huge mess! What are my sister's rights?

Asked on 11/13/07, 2:22 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

William Nolan Nolan Elder Law LLC

Re: Death benefits

You might want to consult with a family law firm, one that handles custody, post-divorce support issues etc. The best is The Crittenden Firm in Birmingham. Look them up in the phone book since I can't give you a number here. Ask for Frances.

William Nolan

Nolan Elder Law

Read more
Answered on 11/14/07, 8:45 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Alabama