Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Alabama

how do I obtain information about my fathers will

Asked on 5/10/17, 1:07 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kyla Kelim Aging in Alabama

Your zip code shows that you are either in, or perhaps seeking answers for a Mississippi issue. If so, please post under MS legal so an appropriate attorney licensed in MS may answer. If this is an issue under Alabama law, I would suggest that if the will has been submitted for probate, you can request a copy from the clerk of the probate court (you may have to pay for the copies). If it has not been submitted for probate, but you know who the personal representative is, you can request a copy from the personal representative. If you do not know, or do not get a response, and you know the attorney who drafted the will, you can request a copy from that attorney. Keep in mind the attorney may not be required to give you a copy, but it is a starting point. I would make the requests in writing by certified mail. If you cannot locate a copy from the attorney, you can make relevant inquiries starting with next of kin, his spouse and any other children. I would make the requests in writing by certified mail. You may also check the public record of the county in which your father resided; it is rare for them to be recorded prior to death, but not unheard of. If you don't get anywhere with these inquiries, or if the inquiries are off base, make inquiries of those closest to him. Good luck!

Read more
Answered on 5/10/17, 1:23 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Alabama