Legal Question in Workers Comp in Alabama

Had a man helping me outside they stopped my workers comp. they said that had flim of me working outside can they stop my wokers comp. on hearsay like that without a hearing?

Asked on 6/02/11, 2:10 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jon Lewis Lewis, Feldman, & Lehane, LLC

They can technically do anything they want, but it doesn't mean they won't have to pay for it later. It is typical for them to get video and use it against you. Can you get the man who helped you to give a statement? That might help your case. Of course, I would recommend you obtain an attorney first so that the statement will cover what it needs to cover (not implying that it should be false - it shouldn't, but it needs to be thorough).

I would ask them to provide you an explanation as to why they have stopped your benefits, IN WRITING.

One Alabama code Section which would apply is:

Section 25-5-51

Right to compensation for injuries or death; grounds for denial of compensation.

If an employer is subject to this article, compensation, according to the schedules hereinafter contained, shall be paid by the employer, or those conducting the business during bankruptcy or insolvency, in every case of personal injury or death of his or her employee caused by an accident arising out of and in the course of his or her employment, without regard to any question of negligence. Notwithstanding the foregoing, no compensation shall be allowed for an injury or death caused by the willful misconduct of the employee, by the employee's intention to bring about the injury or death of himself or herself or of another, his or her willful failure or willful refusal to use safety appliances provided by the employer or by an accident due to the injured employee being intoxicated from the use of alcohol or being impaired by illegal drugs.

A positive drug test conducted and evaluated pursuant to standards adopted for drug testing by the U.S. Department of Transportation in 49 C.F.R. Part 40 shall be a conclusive presumption of impairment resulting from the use of illegal drugs. No compensation shall be allowed if the employee refuses to submit to or cooperate with a blood or urine test as set forth above after the accident after being warned in writing by the employer that such refusal would forfeit the employee's right to recover benefits under this chapter.

No compensation shall be allowed if, at the time of or in the course of entering into employment or at the time of receiving notice of the removal of conditions from a conditional offer of employment, the employee knowingly and falsely misrepresents in writing his or her physical or mental condition and the condition is aggravated or reinjured in an accident arising out of and in the course of his or her employment.

At the time an employer makes an unconditional offer of employment or removes conditions previously placed on a conditional offer of employment, the employer shall provide the employee with the following written warning in bold type print, "Misrepresentations as to preexisting physical or mental conditions may void your workers' compensation benefits." If the employer defends on the ground that the injury arose in any or all of the last above stated ways, the burden of proof shall be on the employer to establish the defense.

(Acts 1919, No. 245, p. 206; Code 1923, 7544; Code 1940, T. 26, 270; Acts 1973, No. 1062, p. 1750, 7; Acts 1984, 2nd Ex. Sess., No. 85-41, p. 44, 4; Acts 1992, No. 92-537, p. 1082, 11.)

Read more
Answered on 6/02/11, 8:38 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in Alabama