Legal Question in Constitutional Law in Alaska

I am currently in the U.S Army currently stationed in Alaska. I would like to know the legal process of transfering my firearms to California when I ETS. I do not feel being charged with a felony in that non-friendly gun owner state.

Asked on 9/25/16, 3:43 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Terrence Thorgaard Thorgaard Law Firm

I have found that the easiest way to transfer firearms from Alaska to another state is to arrange with a firearms dealer where you are to get it to another dealer in the vicinity of the location. My thinking in this regard is that reputable dealers will know best how to legally accomplish it in their respective states.

Or, if you want to do it yourself, check with the carrier of your choice, whether it be the US Postal Service, FedEx, UPS, or your local freight forwarder. Again, they will know the applicable regulations. The last time I checked, one could not mail handguns, although the mailing of long guns was permitted. The mailing or shipping of ammunition is not allowed, to my knowledge. Obviously you should bring the firearms to the carrier in appropriate gun cases, and of course unloaded. .

Both in Alaska and in California on the other end, you or your agent should observe all applicable state and local laws regarding firearms licensing, the transpiration of firearms in vehicles, etc.

Read more
Answered on 9/25/16, 6:26 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Constitutional Law questions and answers in Alaska