Legal Question in Family Law in Alaska

I would like to change venue before I file to modify custody. Is that possible?

Asked on 1/12/17, 4:55 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Terrence Thorgaard Thorgaard Law Firm

it depends.

You indicate that you want to modify custody. So a custody order has previously been entered? Where?

A motion to change venue would be from one place in the state to another place in the same state. Is that what you mean? That might be possible under the right conditions.

But if you are asking about changing venue from one state to another, that usually would not be allowed under the terms of the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (which has been adopted in most or all of the states). There may be circumstances under which you could re-litigate custody in one state when it was previously ordered in another state, but you probably need an attorney to look at the specifics and see if such circumstances apply.

Read more
Answered on 1/13/17, 5:55 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Alaska