Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Alaska

I live in Alaska and recently moved in with a male roommate (I'm a female) in his house. We have a rental agreement for six months- I rent a private bedroom and bathroom.

I recently discovered that he has a video camera set up in the living room that views the kitchen living room and hallway.

I've been in the home almost 4 months now and when he's gone for two weeks at a time for work (2 weeks gone, 2 weeks home) I regularly walk around the house naked and other such things. What legal course of action can I take if any? If I don't finish out my six months- will I be responsible for the rent even in these circumstances?

Asked on 5/11/12, 11:40 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Terrence Thorgaard Thorgaard Law Firm

You say that you have a rental agreement. Is this in writing?

You are renting the bedroom and bathroom, right? So, in effect, the other portions of the house are "common use areas". There is no law, other than what might be in your lease, prohibiting him from recording these common areas. In fact he could, in theory, charge you with indecent exposure. If you are uncomfortable with his recording you walking around naked in those common areas, I suggest you refrain from continuing to walk around naked in them.

So, in conclusion, you do not have any right to sue him, if that's what you are asking. And if you fail to pay rent for the term of the lease, you could be sued for breach of contract.

Read more
Answered on 5/11/12, 4:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Alaska