Legal Question in Elder Law in Arizona

My mother has Alzheimers and up until recently she has lived with her husband in Oklahoma. She has been neglected for years as he he is unable to take care of her. Recently she fell and broke her arm and she was lying on the floor for a week before he called an ambulance. While she was in rehab it was decided that she would come live with me in Arizona, the social worker told us she was not able to return home with her husband. While she was in rehab he gave her papers to sign without telling her what it was. We just found out the papers were a Financial POA. He snuck that in before she went to live with me, obviously I need POA so I can take care of her needs. I think he is trying to steal her wealth. He also will not disclose to us any information about her assets. We know she has a will, but he refuses to tell us about her will.

Asked on 2/16/24, 3:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Richard Bryan Richard Bryan Attorney PC

Who decided she's moving to Arizona? How is she getting to your house, and how are you going to care for your mom? Her husband agrees she's moving to Arizona and away from him? Doesn't make sense. In any event, I'm very sorry all this is happening and it's a terrible situation. And very common. The way to go forward would be through the guardianship process, which in some states is called conservatorship. You're going to need a lawyer in person.

I'm sad for you and mom.

Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 2/19/24, 10:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in Arizona