Legal Question in Family Law in Arizona

My divorce was final Jan. 17th of 2012. I was awarded our boat, the jet skis, our 1990 chevy blazer and 50% of the company stock. I need to register these vehicles in my name so I can get the new tags. I have sent my ex all the old registrations, titles and/or info to get them sent to him to be signed and notorized. All these are in his name. He is refusing to send me these papers until someone picks up the last of his possesions still in the home. He hasn't returned to AZ since Dec. of 2010. He has asked his family to pick these items for him but they haven't. I personnally moved some items to work for him because I didn't want his family heirlooms lost or destroyed if left in the home. I am preparing to move out due to the home being foreclosed upon. My questions long does he have to comply with the court orders to get these items signed and sent to me? What do I do? What can I do?

Asked on 2/07/12, 3:17 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Chris Hildebrand Hildebrand Law, PC

Compliance with the Order is required as of the date the Judge signed it, unless the Order specifically provides a time period within which your former husband had to sign the documents.

Rule 89 of the Arizona Rules of Family Law Procedure permits you to obtain a court order authorizing you or a third party to sign the documents to transfer title of those assets to you. Your former husband may also be held in contempt for failing to comply with the court order and may be ordered to pay your attorney fees in bringing the issues before the court.

I hope this information was helpful to you. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 2/07/12, 3:41 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Arizona