Legal Question in Family Law in Arizona

Am I able to file an emergency custody order with no notice if he other parent won't give me their address for service and if I am concerned they will move out of state if I file custody and visitation papers? My ex girlfriend is refusing to let me see my daughter who is now 6. I have been her sole provider financially for her entire life. I recently broke up with my girlfriend (her mother) and initially gave her money to live on and support my daughter. I have since stopped paying her as she refuses to get a job and was told in email I "would be really sorry" if I didn't keep paying her. Now she has refused to let me see my daughter for the last 45 days and has threatened to move to Iowa along with various other things unless I "help her out". I am scared that once I start the court process, she will try moving out of state. I can't have her served because she refuses to provide an address. She's basically extorted me and threatened other things in emails to me so I have at least that. I am also looking to retain a lawyer in the next week to move forward with everything.

Asked on 9/20/13, 11:27 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Carlie Owsley Walker The Owsley Law Firm, PLLC

You must file immediately to establish legal decision making and parenting time (as well as paternity if not yet established). There are ways to serve her if she is in hiding and perhaps ways to get her served in person you should discuss with an attorney soon. We offer free 30 minute consultations where we can discuss all of your options and obtain more details about your case. I wish you the best and advise you not to delay,

Carlie Owsley Walker


Read more
Answered on 9/20/13, 11:44 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Arizona