Legal Question in Family Law in Arizona

I have been living with my girlfriend and raising her son with her for 2 years now. I want to adopt him so that I can serve any functions as a legal guardian/relative if anything were to happen to him or her or both in the future. She loves the idea. We live in Pima County, AZ. Is there a simple way to do this?

Asked on 6/14/12, 7:31 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Rich Peters R.J. Peters & Assoc., P.C.

I am not sure I would call it simple.

FIRST, we need to terminate the natural father's rights. Would he agree to the adoption? After his rights are terminated, you can then pursue adoption, which is EASIER if the two of you are married.

We can certainly help you consider and then pursue your options. This is obviously a very important matter, and you should not go in alone.

One of our attorneys can explain the issues and procedures better in person. As you can imagine, there is too much to cover via email. We offer free 1/2 hour consultations, in which we can discuss your matter in detail.

Please call us directly to discuss the specifics of your matter, or contact my assistant Alicia or my paralegal Jennifer to schedule your free 1/2 hour consultation.

/s/Rich J. Peters

Attorney at Law

1422 N. 2nd Street Suite 100

Phoenix, Arizona 85004


Fax (602)254-1229

Read more
Answered on 6/15/12, 12:00 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Arizona