Legal Question in Family Law in Arizona

I just got married. My husband has joint legal and physical custody 50/50, week on, week off) of his two great boys aged five and eight. He also has a vindictive ex wife who will stop at nothing to make his life hell.

She doesn't work; not that s she doesn't have the ability (masters degree; was a substance abuse counselor). She has ACCHHS health insurance for the boys.

My health insurance is great. We would love to put both boys on it. But before I do, I need to know a) if I am legally required to provide her with insurance cards and b) what kind of financial issues I could be seetting myself up for. What happens if she doesn't pay co-pays? What happens if I do not get the bills? Is my credit at risk? Who is legally and financially responsible for her actions with regards to the kids medical bills on her time?

Asked on 11/14/13, 5:16 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Carlie Owsley Walker The Owsley Law Firm, PLLC

Your husband needs to review his court order to see who is supposed to cover the kids. If she currently is, he would need to file a pleading with the court asking to modify this provision. In the order, the court will designate how much each party is to cover for uninsured medical costs. She will be responsible for her portion, so long as she is sent the requests for payment according to the guidelines (timely and with receipts). If she does not reimburse Father, he can file a Petition to Enforce. There are several other factors, if you have additional questions we offer free 30 minute consultations @ 623-748-8973.

Best of luck,


Read more
Answered on 11/22/13, 6:37 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Arizona