Legal Question in Family Law in Arizona

Minor name change

My daughter would like to change her last name from her biological father's name to my last name without permission from her biological father. She is 16 and wants to get her driver's license. Her biological mother has no problem with this and she has full custody without visitation rights. Above all, they do not want to involve the biological father.

Asked on 8/26/03, 1:28 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Rich Peters R. J. Peters & Assoc., P.C.

Re: Minor name change

The Father would have to be "served" with the Petition for Change of Name. There is no getting around that. However, she may still be able to get the name change even if he objects.

I can explain the issues and procedures better by phone or in person. As you can imagine, there is too much to cover via e'mail. We offer free 1/2 hour consultations, in which we can discuss the matter in more detail.

Please call me directly to discuss the specifics of your case, or contact my assistant Audrey to schedule a free 1/2 hour consultation. I look forward to talking with you.

/s/ Rich J. Peters, Attorney


1422 N. 2nd Street, Suite 100

Phoenix, Arizona 85004


602.254-1229 (facsimile)

see our web page at

Read more
Answered on 8/26/03, 1:36 pm
Monica Donaldson Stewart Donaldson Stewart, P.C.

Re: Minor name change

Thank you for your inquiry.

Even though the father does not have visitation rights, he must still be served with a copy of the Application for the name change. If he doesn't object, the name-change should be smooth sailing. If he does object, the court may still order the change.

If all else fails, she can apply to change her name after she turns 18 (she doesn't have to give notice to a parent after that time).

If I can be of assistance, please feel free to contact my office to schedule a free initial consultation.

Monica Donaldson

(480) 792-9770

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 8/26/03, 2:04 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Arizona