Legal Question in Family Law in Arizona

I,m in a process of getting a divorce,my wife makes more than me,how does child support play into that.

Asked on 9/17/10, 10:44 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Monica Donaldson Stewart Donaldson Stewart, P.C.

Under the current guidelines in Arizona, child support is calculated based on a variety of factors, including the parents' incomes, the cost of the child's health insurance and child care (if any), and the parenting time arrangements. In other words, there is more to the calculation than just which of you earns more. There are also some situations where there is no child support obligation (as a result of the factors considered in the guidelines, or the agreements of the parties). I encourage you to speak with an attorney in your jurisdiction to assist you in calculating child support so you know what the options are for your situation.

Read more
Answered on 9/22/10, 11:49 am

Rich Peters R.J. Peters & Assoc., P.C.

Arizona has guidelines that apply to all child support cases. The guidelines take into consideration a number of factors, SOME of which are:

-Combined income of both parents

- Daycare costs and which parent pays for it

- Health insurance costs, and which parent pays for it

- Amount of time the parent paying support actually spends with the child.

In some circumstances, the parties can request that the court allow them to vary from the child support guidelines. The court is not required to allow such a variance.

Each family and each child support case is different. What your friend pays or receives in child support has no bearing on what you may pay or receive. Our family law attorneys can help you understand how the guidelines apply to your particular case.

We can certainly help you consider and then pursue your options regarding child support.

One of our attorneys can explain the issues and procedures better in person. As you can imagine, there is too much to cover via email. We offer free 1/2 hour consultations, in which we can discuss your matter in detail.

Please call us directly to discuss the specifics of your matter, or contact my assistant Gina or my paralegal Jennifer to schedule your free 1/2 hour consultation.

/s/ Rich J. Peters

R.J. Peters & Assoc., P.C.

1422 North 2nd Street, Suite 100

Phoenix, Arizona 85004


facsimile 602-254-1229

see our website at

Read more
Answered on 9/22/10, 11:54 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Arizona