Legal Question in Family Law in Arizona

Surrendering parental rights

My child lives in arizona and i live in louisiana. I haven't seen him in 10 years. i dont know were they live and i want to know if i surrender my parental rights do i still have to pay child support? his mother is remarried and has been for quite some time. i have been trying to find an answer to this question but cannot afford an attorney. Please let me know if i can do this and if not if there is any way that i can get the payment amount lowered. Thanks really need some help

Asked on 8/17/06, 3:48 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Steve LeBlanc Steve LeBlanc, Ltd., (APLC)

Re: Surrendering parental rights

Assuming Arizona law is the same as La., and I have no reason to believe otherwise, if you surrender your parental rights for your child to be adopted, you will no longer owe any child support for the child upon the child's adoption. If you owe an arrearage, that is a different matter, and can be addressed in the surrender. Yours, Steve

Read more
Answered on 8/17/06, 4:49 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Arizona