Legal Question in Family Law in Arizona

termination of parental rights and adoption

I married into two minor children. Wy wife divorced the children's father when the youngest was three months old. She is now turning six. The father has had no contact with her or the children since then. To the best of our knowledge he ls living in Oregon. Part of the divorce was that he pay child support. The only child support she has received is his tax returns and this has only happened a couple times. We have contacted Oregon State to stop the child support. I want to adopt the kids. It is my understanding we must first terminate his parental rights. We are not wealthy people. We make enough money to provide for our children but can not afford an attorney. How do we go about terminating the parental rights and I adopt the kids? Do we need an attorney? I don't think he will fight it. We don't even know how to contact him. Any information you could provide to get us on track would be greatly appriciated. Please contact us by hone at (480)664-6933 after 6pm PST or by email at [email protected] Thank you.

Asked on 8/27/03, 10:07 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Monica Donaldson Stewart Donaldson Stewart, P.C.

Re: termination of parental rights and adoption

Thank you for your inquiry. The complexity of your case depends on whether or not the biological father consents to the termination of his parental rights. Once his rights are terminated (either voluntarily or after a private action), the county attorney's office will process a step-parent adoption free of charge (except for the cost of the adoption study through an agency). I suggest that you contact the county attorney's office to find out their procedure before considering a private severance action.

Read more
Answered on 8/27/03, 10:30 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Arizona