Legal Question in Family Law in Arizona

My ex wife and I filed for divorce ourselves. We agreed to spousal support for three years. This is automatically taken out of my pay check. After a year and a half, she has remarried. Do I still have to pay spousal support?

Asked on 4/23/12, 1:27 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Monica Donaldson Stewart Donaldson Stewart, P.C.

Thank you for your inquiry. Unless your divorce decree specifies otherwise, Arizona law says that spousal maintenance terminates upon the remarriage of the receiving party. If the two of you are on good terms, the easiest way to take care of this is to stipulate to the termination of the automatic wage assignment (since your obligation has terminated) and for her to reimburse anything she receives after the date of her remarriage while the termination is being processed. If she isn't willing to cooperate, you can file to have the wage assignment terminated yourself, but it will take a bit longer, so there may become more of a reimbursement issue. I recommend you speak with an attorney to discuss this matter in greater detail so you can decide your best course of action.

Read more
Answered on 4/24/12, 4:54 pm
Rich Peters R.J. Peters & Assoc., P.C.

You absolutely should and could file to terminate spousal. See us soon. We can certainly help you consider and then pursue your options.

One of our attorneys can explain the issues and procedures better in person. As you can imagine, there is too much to cover via email. We offer free 1/2 hour consultations, in which we can discuss your matter in detail.

Please call us directly to discuss the specifics of your matter, or contact my assistant Alicia or my paralegal Jennifer to schedule your free 1/2 hour consultation.

Rich J. Peters

Attorney at Law

1422 N. 2nd Street Suite 100

Phoenix, Arizona 85004


Fax (602)254-1229

Read more
Answered on 4/26/12, 8:26 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Arizona