Legal Question in Immigration Law in Arizona

I came to the USA when I was 12 years old and I enroll in school the same year I learn the language in less then 6 months I work very hard to learn everything I needed to. Know I'm 17 years and I have a 3 month baby and I don't have a job and I'm staying at my moms place but there's really no room for us I want to get an apartment and a job what can I do please help me

Asked on 10/22/13, 12:43 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

If you entered illegally at 12 yrs old, assuming you do not have a parent or spouse who is a U.S. citizen, then you should consider filing for "Deferred Action". It will not give you a greencard, but at least you'll get a work permit for 2 yrs.

Keep in mind that you do no accrue illegal presence until you turn 18. However, at that time, you will start to accrue illegal presence for purposes of any future immigration benefits. That means remaining in the U.S. after the age of 18 could have adverse immigration consequences, even if you were to marry a U.S. citizen.

If Congress passes some sort of immigration reform in the future, then you might be okay, but we won't know what the eligibility requirements are until a law is actually passed.

Read more
Answered on 10/22/13, 9:57 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Arizona