Legal Question in Native American Law in Arizona

if caught driving recklessly on a school zone what court or entity would settle your case?

Asked on 7/23/10, 3:07 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Joan Bundy Joan Bundy Law

It depends on the tribal jurisdiction. Some tribes have agreed to take civil jurisdiction over non-Indians in civil and non-jail-possible traffic matters. However, anyone charged with what is classified as a criminal traffic offense still has to be a member of a federally recognized Indian tribe to be tried tribally. If they are non-tribal the feds can take it if it is what is considered a "major crime" under the. Federal Major Crimes Act.

However, driving recklessly in a school zone likely will warrant just a fine in tribal court , or if they haven't elected to exercise civil traffic jurisdiction over nons, then in the nearest muni or county traffic court.

Read more
Answered on 7/23/10, 6:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Native American Law questions and answers in Arizona