Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Arizona

My 48 year old un-married son died and I am the father and only legal surviving

relative. Am I responsible beyond getting him buried. He had no assets and lots of debts. This happened in Arizona and I live in Florida. I had him cremated and have the death certificates. What about taxes and social security. Are there other issues that I need to address. Thanks

Asked on 1/27/14, 3:35 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Donald Scher Donald T. Scher & Associates, P.C.

You are not responsible for your son's debts or his funeral expenses. You should notify the SSA that he has passed away and apply for the $250 they will pay toward his funeral expenses.

If he is owed a refund from income taxes withheld, then you would have to take action to file a return and get the refund.

Read more
Answered on 1/27/14, 4:15 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Arizona