Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Arizona

had a trust made from a paralegal document preparer. She has since closed her practice. I want to make changes, but dont want to spend another ton of money doing it. Can I purchase software and make changes to my trust or do I have to start over with someone else

Asked on 4/02/13, 2:26 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Donald Scher Donald T. Scher & Associates, P.C.

You do not need to purchase software and you do not have to start over. You need only make your trust amendment in accordance with the trust agreement provisions. I suggest strongly that you consult with an experienced attorney to review your trust documents since they were not prepared by someone with legal knowledge and experience, to make sure that you have what you need to achieve your goals. A trust is not just a simple document to avoid probate, and it is most important that you are protected by the terms of the trust DURING YOUR LIFETIME. In my opinion, a "paralegal document preparer" often think that they know just as much as the lawyer they used to work for, in the same way that a nurse thinks that she knows just as much as the doctor. Whatever you spend now to make sure that you have the right documentation and protection, will be a small fraction of what it will cost if your documents are incomplete, or fail to cover essential provisions that protect you and your interests.

Read more
Answered on 4/02/13, 2:36 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Arizona