Legal Question in Workers Comp in Arizona

I was hurt at a jobsite on 1/20/2020. A vendor placed a sheet of plastic on the ground that caused me to trip and fall. I injured my knee and shoulder. I'm currently doing light duty at work but I might need surgery on my shoulder. Workmans comp only pays 66% of my average pay. Can I sue the Vendor for lost wages, pain and suffering?

Asked on 3/09/20, 11:48 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas Stillwell Stillwell Law Office, PLLC

In general, an injured worker may sue a "third party" for negligence. Third parties are people who are not part of the same company or its subsidiaries. However, there are strict rules that your attorney must follow when handling a third party case, or they may cause you to lose your workers' compensation benefits. The workers' compensation carrier has a statutory lien against your third party lawsuit, and they must give permission before your attorney accepts a settlement. There are other rules as well. Hire a lawyer who is experienced in these matters.

Read more
Answered on 3/17/20, 10:20 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in Arizona