Legal Question in Construction Law in Arkansas

What can I do about a contractor that charged me $23,000 and his work is no good -- Russellville, AR

He charged $7,000 for the drain tile and basement water proofing. He admitted in writing that he didn't waterproof. The drain tile was installed improperly and doesn't work (basement flooded). We also have a report from a structural engineer stating that it would never work because it is installed improperly. He charged us $16,000 for a deck that won't pass inspection and could fall and will eventually cause damage to our home. It's a nightmare! He won't warrant his work and says nothing is wrong, it's all our fault. But the engineer put in his report that the deck would require substantial work. What can we do? We've gotten legal advice saying that for $4,000 he'll represent us, no promises, and we have to pay out of pocket for the repairs (which could cost another $20,000) and then company would have to reimburse us. We've tried contractor's licensing board, attorney general's office, bbb, angie's list, but no one seems interested. What can we do legally? We are senior cits. Oh yeah, and they also tore the brick corner of our house off with their excavator, and their repair work is crap.

Asked on 8/05/16, 10:05 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

J. Norman Stark J. Norman Stark , Attorney, Architect

Dear Senior Homeowners: Yours is a truly tragic story of an unreliable and indiscreet contractor taking advantage unfairly and dishonestly. So sorry to hear of your plight.

Contact your local Bar Association in your city for an experienced construction Attorney to assist you. Or, consider Legal Aid in your city to have an Attorney assist you against this contractor. If all else fails, contact me for further ideas and assistance.


J. Norman Stark





1109 Carnegie Avenue Cleveland, Ohio 44115

(216) 531-5310 x7100 Cel.:(216) 310-7100 Email: [email protected]

*Author: The Construction Claims Investigation Worklist®


Read more
Answered on 8/05/16, 10:21 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Construction Law questions and answers in Arkansas