Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Arkansas

Me and my son's father were divorced, our son is 15 years old. His father passed away 6 months ago. I cannot find out anything pertaining to my ex's financial affairs for our son since we were divorced. My ex's family has taken over everything that was his and I feel like it should belong to our son. He is the only child my ex had. What do I do?

Asked on 6/08/12, 8:51 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cale Block Niswanger Law Firm

At the risk of sounding glib, you need to speak with an attorney as soon as possible. At a bare minimum, you'll need to establish your son as an interested individual in your ex's former county of residence so that he'll be notified of any probate proceedings. If your ex's family is avoiding probate in order to deprive your son of any inheritance to which he may be entitled, then you may need to file suit. Again, it's imperative you discuss this matter with an attorney as soon as possible.

Please be aware that I am not entering into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. With that in mind, please do not post any specific information you do not want available for public viewing. The information provided is provided for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for a local attorney´┐Żs legal advice.

Read more
Answered on 6/11/12, 9:17 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Arkansas