Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

On August 11, 09, my boyfriend and I had a domestic dispute. Anthony(boyfriend) called 911 to have me removed from his apartment. When the police arrived we were both on the floor and he was restraining me so that I would not hit him. I told the police that he hit me and that I was trying to defend myself. He called the police about ten minutes into the altercation. He did not want to hurt me so he held me down in an attempt to protect the both of us. I decided not to press charges and he obviously plead not guilty. So now I have to go to court as a witness. Is ther any way that i can go to court and take the blame away from him with out committing perjury?

Asked on 9/29/09, 12:56 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jacek W. Lentz Law Offices of Jacek W. Lentz

Your situation is not uncommon. In domestic violence cases, it is often the case that the victim wishes to change something about the statements already made. Unfortunately, as you probably already found out, it is no longer up to you whether your boyfriend will be prosecuted. I strongly urge you to discuss the situation and your options in a confidential consultation with a defense attorney. Feel free to give my office a call.

Jacek W. Lentz, Esq. 213.250.9200

Read more
Answered on 9/29/09, 3:55 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California