Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California

In California, the apartment I stay in is trying to evict me. Can I go to court and will it cost me money?

Asked on 10/17/12, 12:30 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Gibbs The Gibbs Law Firm, APC

The answer depends upon how far into the eviction process is your landlord. If judgment has been entered against you, it is too late unless you have the means and ability to appeal the judgment (and to post a bond to stay the eviction). If no trial has occurred and you are still within the time frame to file an answer to the unlawful detainer (eviction) lawsuit, you can file a response to the lawsuit, and force the landlord to take it to a trial. Filing an answer does cost money - there is a filing fee, but you can seek a waiver of the filing fee. Contact the Court Clerk to determine if you qualify for a partial or full waiver of the filing fee. You may wish to retain counsel, however, as there are few defenses to evictions that actually work, and without having appeared in court before, you may not know what to tell the judge to stop or delay eviction.

*Due to the limitations of the Forums, The Gibbs Law Firm, APC's (the "Firm") participation in responding to questions posted herein does not constitute legal advice, nor legal representation of the person or entity posting a question. No Attorney/Client relationship is or shall be construed to be created hereby. Further, information you provide to the Firm through this website is not confidential - it is available publicly to anyone visiting this website. The Firm shall have no obligation to keep the information you provide herein confidential in any context. The information provided herein by the Firm is general, and requires that the poster obtain specific legal advice from an attorney. The poster shall not rely upon the information provided herein as legal advice nor as the basis for making any decisions of legal consequence. As required by 11 U.S.C. 528, we must now disclose that, "We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code. Assistance we provide with respect to Debt Relief may involve bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code."

Read more
Answered on 10/17/12, 4:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California