Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

I like to know if you had a car accident and you have $57,000 worth of Dr. bills and they have not done any surgery which may be required from a broken bone and torrent cartridge. And there may have been some action puncture and epidural along with some MRI's and water therapy. Would that cost $57,000?

How much would the laywer and the Dr. beentitled to? Is there a way I can divide whatever the amount is paid for this accident and if I'm out of pocket on expensive how do I handle it? I am asked these questions because I want to do my homework to know that I'm not being cheated and taken advantage of. Thank you and I hope that you can answer all my questions I would truly appreciate it.

Asked on 4/12/12, 2:09 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Hong Shen Roberts Law Group

I am not a medical person so whether $57000 is reasonable depends on the doctor and procedure he uses. But considering this, a MRI could cost over $5000 without insurance. You can do the maths. An attorney typically get 25-40% in such a case. The rest will go to the doctor. Also consider you would have pain and suffering plus property damage that you may recover as well.

Read more
Answered on 4/12/12, 2:27 pm
Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

If you are the injured party, plaintiff, your attorney fees are determined by your Retainer Agreement with the attorney, subject to negotiated agreement at the time of entering the relationship. Within a range of 25% to 50% for fees is normal, depending upon the case, and depending upon when during the process the case settles or whether it has to be tried. The further into it, the higher the percentage. The fees are taken from the full gross recovery, not the net.

Whether the bills are accurate or reasonable can not be assessed without thorough review by counsel and other medical experts. Plus, the defendant is going to determine for himself what he is willing to pay in settlement, no matter what you think it is worth. If tried, the jury will decide your fate.

If serious about hiring counsel to help in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.

Read more
Answered on 4/12/12, 4:15 pm
Norman Gregory Fernandez, Esq. The Law Offices of Norman Gregory Fernandez & Associates

You asked this same question on Avvo and I will give you the same answer, get an attorney otherwise you will be low balled. We personal injury attorneys exist for a reason. Do you honestly think you will be able to get yourself what you are entitled to without an attorney?

My law firm handles car accident cases all over the state of California. You can read about these cases at . If you want to discuss your case, you may call me for a free consultation at 800-816-1529 x. 1.

Read more
Answered on 4/12/12, 7:33 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California