Legal Question in Family Law in California

how can i find out if my divorce is final? the divorce was filed in 1996 or 1997. my then husband filed for divorce, i went to a paralegal and responded, asking for half of his retirement and child support after which i filed my paperwork. i have had no response by mail or otherwise. what can i do ?

Asked on 1/16/10, 10:47 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Brian Levy, Esq. Law Office of Brian Don Levy

The best way to obtain information about your divorce is to go to the courthouse, pull the file and see what is in it. All you need is your name and case number. In some counties you can go to the superior court website, and using your case number you can see if a judgment has been filed, as well as obtain other information.

For a specific opinion regarding your individual circumstances, I suggest that you consult with an experienced family law lawyer. Experience is not expensive, it's priceless!

You will find some valuable information on various California family law issues by visiting my web site.

Good luck to you!

Brian Levy, Esq.

Read more
Answered on 1/21/10, 10:55 am
Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

Mr. Levy is right, you need to get an attorney involved in this. Without more information and a review of whatever documentation you have, it is not possible to advise you. You really have been doing without child support for 14 years? If you would like to bring in whatever paperwork you have for a free 1/2 hour consultation, my office is in Walnut Creek.

Read more
Answered on 1/21/10, 11:02 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California