Legal Question in Family Law in California

My best friend is going through a divorce. Its been over a year now since he had filed. He hired a lawyer but his not doing anything. My best friend just bought a house and his future ex-wife needs to sign an interspousal deed form but his future ex-wife would not sign until the four of them meet (the 2 lawyers and the couple). The lawyer finally wants to be released as my best friends lawyer. Once the paper work is file how long does it take until my best friend can talk to another lawyer? Can he talk to another lawyer as long as he signs the release paper on his current lawyer? What is the best way to handle this?

Asked on 8/25/09, 12:20 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Brian Levy, Esq. Law Office of Brian Don Levy

In a general sense, your friend should be searching for a family law lawyer that he can have some confidence in. There is no need to delay this, and when he finds an attorney that he trusts and has confidence in, that attornay can facilitate the process of replacing the prior attorney.

For a specific opinion regarding your friends individual circumstances, I suggest that your friend consult with an experienced family law lawyer. Experience is not expensive, it's priceless!

You will find some valuable information on various California family law issues by visiting my web site.

Good luck to you!

Brian Levy, Esq.

Read more
Answered on 8/25/09, 12:34 pm
Patrick McCrary Law Office Of Patrick L. McCrary

Your friend should immediately look for a new attorney. The new attorney can substitute into the case in the place of the old attorney. He does not need to wait to talk to an attorney, he can talk to another attorney any time that he desires. Good Luck, Pat McCrary

Read more
Answered on 8/25/09, 12:40 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California