Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California

I'm purchasing a 3 unit apartment in Los Angeles. One of the tenants are there and I've not been provided any proof of lease or past payments.

I'm thinking because at this point there is no history of payments or lease then I might be able to either charge her market rate or evict her without having to pay over $18,000 for official eviction process.

Would you happen to know or might know of someone who can advise me?

Asked on 10/17/12, 11:32 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Gibbs The Gibbs Law Firm, APC

First, I'm not clear where you came up with the figure $18,000 for an "official eviction process," unless the building is located in an area with rent control or other laws limiting eviction of tenants. I would, rather than what you propose, require that the seller of the building obtain a lease from that tenant, or evict her themselves before you close escrow. You shouldn't buy a building (unless it is at a huge discount) with a person living there of unknown tenancy. Also, you should require from the Seller Tenant Estoppels from each tenant. Your real estate agent should have a decent form for such an agreement, or you need to retain counsel to handle it for you.

*Due to the limitations of the Forums, The Gibbs Law Firm, APC's (the "Firm") participation in responding to questions posted herein does not constitute legal advice, nor legal representation of the person or entity posting a question. No Attorney/Client relationship is or shall be construed to be created hereby. Further, information you provide to the Firm through this website is not confidential - it is available publicly to anyone visiting this website. The Firm shall have no obligation to keep the information you provide herein confidential in any context. The information provided herein by the Firm is general, and requires that the poster obtain specific legal advice from an attorney. The poster shall not rely upon the information provided herein as legal advice nor as the basis for making any decisions of legal consequence. As required by 11 U.S.C. 528, we must now disclose that, "We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code. Assistance we provide with respect to Debt Relief may involve bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code."

Read more
Answered on 10/17/12, 4:37 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California