Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California

Can I sue a company that locked my mother out of unit and some how damaged her hot water heater and now she has been without hot water since Sept. 6, 2012. They are dragging there feet on repairing it and even though they say they will send someone to fix it, they wont accept responsibility.

Asked on 10/17/12, 3:53 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Gibbs The Gibbs Law Firm, APC

Unless you are an attorney or a conservator for your mother, you cannot sue anyone on her behalf. She may have the right to sue the property owner and/or property management company if they illegally locked her out (without a court order) and/or damaged her water heater and haven't repaired it. She should consult with a tenant's rights attorney in your area.

*Due to the limitations of the Forums, The Gibbs Law Firm, APC's (the "Firm") participation in responding to questions posted herein does not constitute legal advice, nor legal representation of the person or entity posting a question. No Attorney/Client relationship is or shall be construed to be created hereby. Further, information you provide to the Firm through this website is not confidential - it is available publicly to anyone visiting this website. The Firm shall have no obligation to keep the information you provide herein confidential in any context. The information provided herein by the Firm is general, and requires that the poster obtain specific legal advice from an attorney. The poster shall not rely upon the information provided herein as legal advice nor as the basis for making any decisions of legal consequence. As required by 11 U.S.C. 528, we must now disclose that, "We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code. Assistance we provide with respect to Debt Relief may involve bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code."

Read more
Answered on 10/17/12, 4:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California