Legal Question in Disability Law in California

Handicap Parking at my Apartment complex

I am a handicap 75 year old senior i have lived in this apartment complex since 1995. The new mngt.. have moved my parking space to the complete back of the building and have vowed to tow me if i park anywhere else. There are six handicap spaces for appx. 275 units. What can i do to get my parking space back which was located in front of my apartment?

Asked on 1/07/08, 5:12 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

Re: Handicap Parking at my Apartment complex

contact the city or county building inspectors' office and request they check the legality of the move and quantity of spaces. If they tell you it is in compliance with the laws, then you could make a argument to the mgmt that they should reasonably accommodate you under the disability laws to avoid legal action. If you are told they are NOT in compliance, you would have grounds to demand change, or sue if refused. If you don't get a convincing answer from the building inspector, you could hire an independent expert to give an opinion about compliance. Feel free to contact me if you want to do any of those things. I can help you with the legal representation you will need. I've been doing discrimination matters for over 20 years.

Read more
Answered on 1/07/08, 7:30 pm


Re: Handicap Parking at my Apartment complex

You may demand accomodation if it is not practicle for you to walk the extra distance. Contact me directly.

Read more
Answered on 1/07/08, 8:46 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Disability Discrimination Law (ADA) questions and answers in California